LOCATION: Athletics Ontario Head Office
3701 Danforth Ave., Scarborough ON M1N 2G2
DIVISION: Marketing & Communications
REPORTS TO: Director, Member Services, Programs and Development
PERIOD: Contract, Part time
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 4, 2022
The Athletics Ontario (AO) Marketing and Communications Coordinator will be responsible for developing and managing the Athletics Ontario brand, generating awareness of all AO programs, services and current news, through communication tools, managing community outreach and partnership development. This position also leads AO’s social media/web strategy, and effectively leverages social media to build communities and engage new members, stakeholders and audiences.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator will be responsible for:
Brand Development and Program News
- Develop and execute marketing campaigns to establish and maintain a consistent brand presence
- Develop web content, including images, video and audio; and ensure the content is relevant and up to date
- Promote the AO Brand in effort to increase brand recognition and loyalty
- Work with the other staff to organize and promote championship meets, awards gala, courses, workshops, and other events.
- Ensure content is being captured of programs and services for use in promotional & social media campaigns – Develop and execute a multi-year marketing and communications strategy that reflects the work of the organization and/or the sport, and makes use of relevant social media platforms and communication channels
Social Media Tracking and Communication Strategy
- Monitor and maintain social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn etc.) tracking following results month over month to ensure audience attraction
- Track and monitor news which is relevant to Athletics (i.e. Google Alerts, Google Analytics)
- With direction from key partners and CEO, respond as required to questions, news, updates circulated in the news that positively or negatively reflects on the sport
- Monitor and ensure Athletics Ontario is highlighting key partners/sponsors in all communications that are circulated publicly
- Create innovative content to engage and expand upon social media audience
- Develop and manage communication strategy to effectively reach all members consistently (i.e. weekly newsletters, town hall)
Sponsorship and Media Outreach Support
- Community and industry outreach
- Cultivate media interest in the association and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests
- Develop a strategy to identify and forge relationships with potential sponsors for programs, and events – Work with AO team members and to create new sponsorship proposal materials and ideas – Maintain media contact databases with the support of the Office Manager
- Produce and distribute all AO publications, such as web articles, press releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, annual report, etc., including a range of articles on various programs, events and/or athletes
Athletics Ontario Awards Banquet
- Plan and execute the Annual Awards Banquet for athletes, parents, coaches, officials, etc.
- Deliver a high-quality event which generates revenue for the organization
- Create effective monitoring and analysis capabilities so that the results of marketing and communication tools can be accurately measured and delivered within budget
- Develop annual year-end report and assist in preparation of documents for Annual General Meeting – Provide quarterly marketing reports
- Produce end of season reports for membership, to include highlights, photos, and videos
- WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Athletics Ontario Functional Area Leads:
- Programs and Services Director
- High Performance Manager
- Technical Manager
- Board of Directors
- Athletics Ontario Officials Executive Committee
- Sponsors & Strategic Partners
- Participate in Strategic Planning Steering Committee in creation of operational goals and objectives
- Engage and direct AO interns to ensure successful completion of term projects and objectives
- Press and Media Outlets – responsible for creating and moderating communications between the organization and various media outlets, such as newspapers, radio broadcasts, and television stations.
- Athletics Canada’s Communications Lead – updates and collaboration on news/Ontario athlete information
- Athletics Canada’s NextGen Manager – updates on Ontario’s High-Performance athletes
- KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Proven success and experience communicating with athletes, coaches and other stakeholders. • Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience creating content for a business-to-consumer website preferred.
- Experience in live-event marketing, coverage and promotion.
- Experience managing multiple social media platforms simultaneously while ensuring brand consistency,
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, advertising,or related field.
- Fully competent with Microsoft Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook), content creation programs (i.e. Canva, Adobe Platforms) and social media platforms (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
- Understanding of the provincial and national sport landscape and systems
- Bilingualism is an asset, but is not required.
- Accountability: Understands what has to be achieved within the established standards, budget and timelines. Accepts accountability for actions and performance and willingly contributes to personal and team performance discussions with a view towards continuous improvement.
- Organizational Effectiveness: Balances the needs of all stakeholders; provides feedback that contributes to organizational success; demonstrates effective time management skills; meets tight deadlines and implements initiatives effectively. Demonstrated critical thinking as it relates to program planning, implementation and evaluation (i.e. gap analysis and mitigation).
- Expectation Management: Establishes realistic parameters regarding customer service expectations and problem resolution and performs effectively within the organization’s accountability framework.
- Creativity and Innovation: Embraces change and challenges the status quo in a constructive and flexible manner.
- Teamwork: Collaborates and cooperates with others to get the job done; values the input and know-how of other team members; builds trust and respect among fellow team members and works with others toward a common goal.
- Love of Sport: Fosters a love of sport with a commitment to elevate sport and athleticism in support of the mandate of Athletics Ontario.
- To treat athletes, coaches and officials with respect and integrity
- To adhere to the AO employment regulations (HR Handbook)
- To refrain from defamatory remarks against AO, AO members, partners and sponsors
- To represent AO in a professional manner at events and competitions
- To attend relevant provincial and national championships
- Flexibility in work hours and able to travel as needed
Note: This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline of the position’s duties and with consultation, can be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organization.
AO is an athlete-centered, club and community-based, volunteer-driven organization, committed to athlete development.
Our key goals are to promote and encourage participation from the grassroots level through to the very highest level of proficiency; to assist coaches, officials and club executives in fulfilling their goals; and to establish an authority, which can voice the concerns and desires of members to the appropriate bodies.
Job Level: Contract
Travel: Approx. 30% of the time
Schedule: Part-time (estimated 20 hours per week; potential for future Full-time role)
Salary: $20 per hour
How to Apply: The deadline for receiving resumes/applications is February 4, 2022. Submit your application by email to: [email protected]. Please identify the position in the subject line in your email. Athletics Ontario thanks all who express an interest in this position and advises that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Athletics Ontario is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. Athletics Ontario is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.