Coaching education begins with training. The NCCP model distinguishes between training and certification. Coaches can participate in training opportunities to acquire or refine the skills and knowledge required for a particular coaching context and as a result, they are considered “trained”.
To check your NCCP coaching credentials: https://thelocker.coach.ca/access/account/public
NCCP coaches are described as follows:
- In Training– when they have completed some of the required training for a context;
- Trained – when they have completed all required training for a context;
- Certified – when they have completed all evaluation requirements for a context.
A certified coach enjoys the credibility of track and field community because they have been observed and evaluated “doing” what is required of them as a competent coach in their sport. Certified coaches are recognized as meeting or exceeding the high standards embraced by our national sport organizations in Canada.
Coach Training + Evaluation = Certification
After completing an NCCP accredited coaching course with Athletics Ontario you are considered “Trained” in the event(s). In order to be a considered “certified” you must complete the evaluations and any multi sport courses.
Process to Becoming Certified:
Step 1: Take a course!
Coaching education begins with training. The NCCP model distinguishes between training and certification. Coaches can participate in training opportunities to acquire or refine the skills and knowledge required for a particular coaching context and as a result, they are considered “trained.” Finding the coaching pathway that matches your coaching context is important. To find a list of upcoming courses in Ontario: www.athleticsontario.ca/coaching-courses
Advanced Coaching Diploma
Step 2: Coaching Association of Canada: Coach Certification (NCCP) Number
Step 3: Athletics Canada (AC) Number
- To find your AC number: https://www.trackie.com/members/lookup.php
- To register for an AC number: https://www.trackie.com/members/ON.php
Step 4: Athletics Canada Portal
- Click “Register” https://athletics.ca/coach
- This website will be where you will upload documents for your portfolio evaluation
Step 5: Complete Portfolio and Evaluations
- Sport Coach Evaluation forms and Rubric (click to see rubric)
- Club Coaching Evaluation forms and Rubric (click to see rubric)
- *Note –Club Coach certification requires both Sport Coach and Club Coach Evaluations*
- Performance Coach Evaluation forms and Rubric (To come)
- Sport Coach and Club Coach require Making Ethical Decisions completion and online evaluation (click CAO upcoming courses)
- Performance Coach require Coaching and Leading Effectively, Psychology of Performance, and evaluations in Managing Conflict Leading Drug Free Sport and Making Ethical Decisions
Step 7: Notified
- Upon completion of the evaluation, Athletics Ontario staff will update the locker to reflect the completed evaluation and “certified” status
Cost for Evaluation:
Evaluation $100 (did not take course)
Evaluation $200 (did not take course)
Evaluation $250 (did not take course)
Adding an event group $100 (certified in one discipline, would like an evaluation in a different discipline)
Evaluation $500 (did not take course)