2023 Athletics Ontario Awards Gala and Hall of Fame Ceremony
Dust off your best outfit and lace up your dancing shoes because we’re back, bigger and better than ever!
You are cordially invited to the party of the year – the long-awaited return of our spectacular in-person Awards Gala & Hall of Fame Ceremony – on Saturday, October 21st, 2023 at the beautiful Toronto Grand, as we come together to celebrate the incredible achievements of 2023.
But it gets even better! Our amazing host for the evening is none other than three-time Olympian, Commonwealth Games medalist, and TV personality Rosey Edeh! She’ll bring her infectious energy and charisma, ensuring an unforgettable night for both young and old.
- A champagne reception, delicious food with a full-service meal, and beverages.
- A celebration of current and past athletes.
- A silent auction with one-of-a-kind items.
- Live entertainment and dancing.
- Games and activities galore for the young athletes to keep them smiling from ear to ear.
- The opportunity for everyone to connect with friends and teammates.
That’s not all! Over the coming weeks, we’ll announce our guest speaker, the live entertainment band, unveil some world-class Canadian athletes who will be there to share in the fun, sign autographs and take pictures – and much more!
Athletics Ontario is now accepting nominations for the 2023 Awards Gala Athletes of the Year – and other special awards. The 2023 nomination period will remain open through Sunday, October 1st, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. ET – and is specific to the 2023 outdoor season.
- Athlete of the Year Awards will be presented to the top male and female athletes in each age group – U14, U16, U18, U20, Open, Para, and Masters.
- Nyron Higgins Excellence in Athlete Development and Coaching Award (NHEADCA) recognizes track & field (T&F) coaches who have made a significant impact on their athlete’s lives by fostering a love for the sport. The award celebrates coaches who demonstrate inclusivity, supportiveness, and selflessness in their coaching approach, inspiring their athletes to reach their full potential on and off the track, by providing additional support for their coaching education. Through their dedication and guidance, these coaches structure an environment that nurtures the growth and development of athletes, helping them develop into well-rounded individuals and successful competitors. The Awards Selection Committee will choose up to two (2) recipients of the NHEADCA per year, however there will be no more than one recipient in each category (female, male, non-binary). A professional development bursary for additional track and field coaching education of $300 will be awarded to each recipient. The full details and Selection Criteria can be found HERE, with the nomination form below. Please note:
- Nominations for the NHEADCA may be submitted by athletes, fellow coaches, parents, and/or community members who have direct knowledge of the nominee’s coaching abilities and impact on their athletes and/or community.
- Self-nominations are permitted provided they include a letter of support from an athlete or an athlete’s parent that speaks to the key attributes mentioned above.
- Nominators must complete the official nomination form below, providing examples and anecdotes that highlight how the coach has demonstrated the key attributes (outlined in the Selection Criteria Document which can be found HERE).
- Official of the Year will be presented to one female and one male official, as selected by the Officials Award Selection Committee.
- Volunteer of the Year will be presented to an outstanding volunteer(s), as selected by the Award Selection Committee.
- Breakthrough and/or Media Award will be selected based on nominations received.
- All-Ontarian Certificates will be sent out digitally to all athletes who (1) achieved gold medal performances at AO provincial championships; (2) finished in the top three (gold, silver or bronze) at the national championships; (3) and/or were selected to a national team.
- Nominations can be made by completing the form below. The deadline to submit is Sunday, October 1st, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
- The full selection criteria can be found here: 2023 Awards Selection Criteria FNL
The true heart of this gala lies in its purpose of fundraising to support and fuel the dreams of aspiring athletes, coaches, and officials. Your attendance and generosity will help raise these vital funds to propel sport development and provide a world-class platform for Ontario athletes to shine on national and international levels facilities.
Here’s the catch – the excitement is already building. TICKETS ARE SELLING FAST AND SEATS ARE LIMITED, SO GET YOUR TICKETS NOW so you don’t miss out on this extraordinary celebration of Athletic excellence and achievement! GET YOUR TICKETS TODAY! We can’t wait to see you there (finally)!