Home | Road/Trail Race Calendar | 2020 Trillium Running Series | 2020 Race Director Summit | Road/Trail Race Sanctioning Application | Time Trial Saturdays | Athletics Ontario’s Road & Trail Return to Competitions Guidelines | AO Strava Running Club
Athletics Ontario Road & Trail Race Organization Membership
*New in 2021*
As an Athletics Ontario sanctioned Road & Trail Race Organization that organizes events adhering to Athletics Ontario Sanction Criteria, Athletics Ontario offers the following services:
- Access to comprehensive General Liability Insurance up to $10,000,000 (ten million) general liability,
- Access to up to $2,000,000 (two million) Directors and Officers liability insurance
- Access to event participant Accident, Death, and Dismemberment insurance for any sanctioned event held under your Race Organization Club.
- Provincial sport governing body support within municipalities as needed.
- Enhanced event promotion through exposure on Athletics Ontario website and social media platforms, and at least one feature in weekly newsletter around the time of your event.
- 50% discount to annual race director summit
- Each Organization must register their organization with Athletics Ontario
- Each organization wishing to have Directors & Officers Liability coverage for their Board of Directors, must ensure all board members register as a club associate here.
- Each individual event held by the Race Organization must fill out Sanction Application and tightly adhere to Athletics Ontario Sanction criteria
- Each event held by the Race Organization must tightly adhere to Athletics Ontario Sanction criteria
Step By Step:
Race Organization Registration:
- Complete the Road & Trail Race Organization Registration Form
- Once you have completed this form, you will receive confirmation from our website via email indicating a successful form submission.
- Athletics Ontario will create your account in our membership database and will be in contact with your next steps including payment details.
Race Organization Single Race Insurance Application
- Fill out AO Sanction application and include estimated number of participants. Race organization member sanction fees are waived. AO will provide sanction logo and unique sanction number for your use.
- Submit Insurance Request Form (form also available for download in the sanction application)
- Athletics Ontario to provide Event Insurance Certificate
- Final participant count to be confirmed after event conclusion
Race sanctioning process provides a simple, effective method to ensure the safety of all race participants. The sanctioning process involves a number of safety related criteria to which a race must adhere.
The AO logo is your guide to quality racing, as it is the official sanction symbol of AO. By displaying this logo and sanction number on your race website, you signify compliance with AO standards of quality. An extensive checklist of factors is questioned, like the availability of medical personnel, course marking, course measurement, fluid replacement stations, separation from vehicle traffic, washrooms, availability of results, etc.
For an outline of the AO Road and Trail Race Sanction Criteria, please click here.
How to Obtain Athletics Ontario Sanction Without AO Race Organization Membership
- Fill out AO Sanction application. Sanction fee is $75.00 (including HST) per race. AO will provide sanction logo and unique sanction number for your use (ex. event marketing materials, website) in order to illustrate to your participants the professionalism of your event.
- Race will be listed on Athletics Ontario sanctioned events list.
Trillium Running Series
The Trillium Running Series is a combination of road and trail events that celebrate the diversity of the participation of running as a sport. By using age-graded percent results for Athletics Ontario members, athletes performances are measured on the same playing field, allowing members of all ages to feel unified.
Details regarding the 2021 Trillium Running Series are currently delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Race Directors Summit
The Race Directors Summit is an annual gathering of the community of race directors that began in 2017. It is a mastermind of knowledge sharing and expertise in all areas of the race directing field.
2021 Race Directors Summit has been postponed due to COVID-19 gathering restrictions. Details TBA.
Please visit the Race Directors Summit information page from 2020 to learn more about this event.
Contact Sheryl Preston if you have any specific questions.
Road & Trail Risk Assessment and Safety Recommendations
The following guidelines have been created by Athletics Ontario, in order to provide a guideline for Ontario Race Directors to follow while developing Operational Plans for their events to maximize the opportunity for a safe event for participants during the time of the COVID-19 pandemic.
These recommendations are not meant to replace any Federal and/or National Public Health, CDC, or WHO guidelines, but rather to address risks specifically relevant to COVID-19 and running races.
It is also imperative that event directors clearly understand that these guidelines are in place to minimize risk, not to completely eliminate risk. The onus remains on event directors to clearly outline, communicate and adhere to these guidelines and for the volunteers and participants to strictly adhere to these guidelines for their own health and safety and for the health and safety of others around.
Please review and understand the Athletics Ontario’s Road & Trail Return to Competitions Guidelines before hosting or participating in any upcoming road/trail race.
Road & Trail Contact: Sheryl Preston
Email, at email@example.com