*New Name for 2023*
Road & Trail Organization Membership
This Calendar year (January 1-December 31st) Membership includes:
- Liability insurance coverage for AO Sanctioned Races/Events (see below)
- Liability coverage for Running Groups:
Summary for Race Directors whom require event insurance
Athletics Ontario Road & Trail Race Organization Membership
- 500 – 999 Participants *$678.00
- 1,000 – 50,000 Participants *$1356.00
(*Cost Includes HST)
Registered Athletics Ontario Race Organizations benefit from the following:
- Support: Provincial sport governing body support within municipalities as needed
- Run Clubs, Running Group Coverage: Your organization and all participants have insurance coverage under your policy so long as your participants are also AO members (day member fee below for Events only); and Group Run Safety Guidelines are followed.
- Professionalism: Demonstration of professionalism as a Race Director
- Promotion: Enhanced event promotion through exposure on Athletics Ontario website and social media platforms, and at least one feature in weekly newsletter around the time of your event
- Discounts: 25% discount to annual Race Director Summit
- Event Sanction Fee: Sanction application fee of $75.00 is waived for all annual races within your Race Organization (pending race sanction application approval)
- Comprehensive insurance coverage (as below)
Comprehensive insurance coverage for all of your events and activities including but not limited to: road/trail races, associated activities and events, and training groups (Insurance details can be found here); All AO Sanctioned road and trail events under each AO Race Organization. Please apply for a sanction here.
Participant lists must be submitted to [email protected] within one week of completion of your event(s) for insurance purposes.
1) General Liability *$0.15 per participant
2) Accident Death and Dismemberment *$0.15 per participant
In addition to Road & Trail Organization member fees, depends on category of size of the Race Organization participant base; the numbers below are for total participants throughout the year
*Participant day membership fee for events
Tear 1 (1-499 participants): Up to 200 participants are FREE, over 200 participants are charged ($25.00 administration + *$0.30per participant)
Tier 2 (500-999 participants): Up to 700 participants are FREE, over 700 participants are charged ($25.00 administration + *$0.30per participant)
Tier 3 (1,000-50,000 participants): Up to 1000 participants are FREE, over 1000 participants are charged ($25.00 administration + *$0.30per participant)
- If your Organization has a Board of Directors whom wish coverage under our Directors and Officers Liability policy additionally require:
- Athletics Ontario ASSOCIATE Membership
- 2023 ASSOCIATE REQUIREMENTS:
- Criminal Background Check – an annual requirement for registering as an Associate. You may submit yours to your Club Registrar or to [email protected]. Athletics Ontario is pleased to be able to offer a fast, convenient and credible online method to request and obtain your police check electronically. For more information. Please visit online screening application for details.
- NCCP Safe Sport – This module must be completed and valid. To register for this FREE online module, please visit https://thelocker.coach.ca/
Once the applications are submitted or renewed please ensure to fill out a Sanction application or each of your events prior to requesting insurance certificates. Here is a breakdown of those steps
Apply HERE: AO Sanction application.
Races are required to apply each year and a unique Race Sanction Logo will be provided for use on Race/Registration website to illustrate to your participants your attention to detail in adhering to the provincial guidelines for a safe and high quality race.
- Guidelines: Provides criteria to ensure the safety of race participants
- Promotion: Sanctioned Races will be listed on Athletics Ontario’s sanctioned events list
- Affiliation: An approved sanction provides an official affiliation of your race with the Athletics Ontario; the Provincial Sport Governing Body
- Quality: The Athletics Ontario logo helps your participants identify your race as a high quality and safe race
- Agreement: AO Sanctioned races are required displaying your logo and unique sanction number on your race website which signifies compliance with AO standards of quality
- Fee: $75.00 *Race Sanction fees are waived for Athletics Ontario Race Organization members
Rowans Law must be abided by with an appointed safety officer
2022 Trillium Running Series
The purpose of the series is encourage and reward Athletics Ontario member participation in AO Sanctioned races. New for 2022, all AO Sanctioned Road and Trail races will have the opportunity to be a part of The Trillium Running Series. You will have the ability to “opt in” to the series during your Sanction Application Process.
Congratulations to Peter Quevillon, our 2022 series winner!
RACE DIRECTOR SUMMIT
The 6th Annual Race Director Summit January 21, 2023
We held our 6th Annual Race Director Summit on January 21, 2023. This annual gathering of race directors community that began in 2017. It is a mastermind of knowledge sharing and expertise in all areas of the race directing field. Past summits have been held both in person and virtually.
The 7th Annual Summit will run at the end of January 2024. Stay tuned!!
Race Director Town Hall
Athletics Canada Course Certification
Check out the Athletics Canada Certified Courses List
More details on having your race certified can be found here
AC Certification Manuals and forms
World Athletics Rules on Record Eligibility
To ensure you understand World Athletics record eligibility here are the rules
To submit a record time please contact [email protected]
Virtual Race Safety Recommendations
- Follow the advice of your local public health authority, to help stop the spread of coronavirus
- Pre-plan your route with safety in mind. Websites like https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ can help you source the correct distance and allow you to pick routes with the least amount of busy street intersections
- Avoid high traffic pedestrian and vehicle areas. Run or walk close to home in your neighbourhood during a quieter time of day
- Adhere to social distancing practices while you are out running or walking. Can you safely pass someone? Can you run safely on the road? Make sure you always have a safe way to move around people to maintain 6 feet of distance.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Be visible and dress for the weather
- Bring fuel, hydration and hand sanitizer
- Carry a cell phone with you during your virtual race and tell someone the route you are running in case of an emergency
Road & Trail Contact: Sheryl Preston
Email, at [email protected]